Prestigious International School Curriculum
- School Curriculum based on clear educational philosophy
- Students are encouraged to have self-directed learning habits. They are conducting in-depth studies not just to memorize textbooks but to understand and explore what they are learning.
- Lessons Utilizing Text Books from Prestigious International Schools
- Foreign teachers teach English, Mathematics, Social Studies and Science in English using English textbooks. Students can experience a prestigious international school curriculum.
- Diverse Learning Assessments that Foster Creative Thinking
- More than 80% of major subjects are assessed base on essays and projects. Multi-dimensional performance assessment system fosters students' creative thinking. Both Korean and Foreign teachers cooperate to evaluate a student's entire learning process. YHIMS also provides Foreign Teachers' Progress Report which includes homeroom teachers' comment and grades in English. Progress Report helps students prepare for their further admissions.
- International Studies Courses
- Students learn to understand and discuss international current issues through International studies, International Economics and International Relations classes. Students acquire an international mindset through various activities such as discussion, presentation and research.
- Third Languages
- Students choose to learn another foreign language among Spanish, Chines and Japanese. In addition to regular school curriculum, YHIMS provides small group conversation classes as a part of After School program so that students can communicate with the world.
English Immersion Program
- Largest Number of Immersion Class Periods in Korea
- Students have more than 1,000 hours of immersion classes for three years. They are able to acquire significant level of English ability naturally through classes (English, Math, Social Studies, Science and International Studies) and activities with foreign teachers. 16 (more or less) students per class make it possible for them to develop English discussion and presentation skills.
- Foreign Teacher Homeroom
- Every class has both Korean teacher and foreign teacher assigned as home room teachers. By having both native English speaking teacher and native Korean speaking teacher, all of the students' needs can be addressed. There are many events and cultural experience chances organized by foreign teachers such as Speech Contest, Debate Contest, Sports Camp, Halloween Party and Theater Production.
- Various Programs to Expand English Proficiency
- To make sure all the students can understand English based classes; YHIMS provides various programs to help them studying English. Intensive English Program (I.E.P), Individual Learning Program (I.L.P) and English Catch up Program are provided according to students' level. Also, there are Essay writing, Debating and Book Analysis classes by foreign teachers.
- Student-Driven Classes
- Students participate in learning process actively by reading, doing research, presenting ideas and writing essays. In addition to individual works, they discuss, conduct experiment and projects in groups.
- Student-Driven Extracurricular Activities
- Students organize club activities and presentations by themselves. Using after-school hours, they have study group meetings and small group activities. Also, events such as Student Festival, Golden bell, YHIMS mock Trial Competition and Student Court are organized by students. Every student activity will be kept in their portfolios.
- In-Depth Academic Projects
- Students will choose a subject related to his/her interest and complete several projects for three years. The project helps students to be confident, responsible for their works, prepare for their future admissions and explore career options.
Global Leader Education
- Global Leader Education
- As a part of global career exploration programs, students visit International Mongolian School, Central and South America Cultural Center and UNICEF Korea. They also go Leadership Camping at the beginning of the semester. Students get Global Etiquette education for Table Manners, Global Events Manners, Performance Manners and Sungkyungwan Educations. YHIMS occasionally invites Ambassadors, Researcher from International Institutions, and International Referee to motivate students.
- Young Hoon Internship Program (YIP)
- YIP invites parents with various occupations as speaker and provides students chances to learn and explore their future career path. Through the program, students can ask questions, learn about different occupations and picture themselves as global leaders.
- Various Community Services & Exchange Programs
- YHIMS is a UNESCO partnership school providing Global Leadership Education. International exchange programs with prestigious schools in U.S.A and MOU with Canada Comox Valley education office make it possible for students to be educated as global citizens. As a World Vision School of Global Citizenship, YHIMS encourages students to do various volunteer works and share their talents through English Story Telling, Mentoring, Orchestra performance and etc.
Two Additional Activities per Student
- Sports Activity
- Students do sports activities (Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Tennis, Kendo, Ice skating, Archery, Taekwondo, Bowling, etc.) every week with instructors. Through regular sports activities, students can develop perseverance, teamwork, physical strength and other things. Sports Camp after midterms in the second semester is a great chance to cultivate fellowships and release stress after their hard works.
- Music Activity
- Students play musical instruments (Violin, Cello, Classic Guitar, Korean Fiddle, Clarinet, etc.) every week with instructors. Students get to choose musical numbers and instruments for Wednesday Recital. Also, there are Music Recital and Choral Competition for students to showcase their talents. YHIMS believes that musical education helps students to develop both sense and sensibility.
- Green Mileage System
- The system is for managing students classroom behavior. Through the system, students will be awarded credits for good behavior and penalized with demerit marks for bad behavior. It is strict but fair system to build students moral characteristics.
- Diverse Student Counseling Program
- YHIMS provides various counseling programs including Peer Consultation under counselors supervision and Apple Day for having students apologize or thank each other.
- Character Building through Reading Classic Liberal Art Books
- Students are required to read books from list of recommended books and write essays. Students are able to access to books easily since not only the Library but also the Diludium and Students Lounge have books available for them.
- Non-Proctored Exam
- Non-Proctored Exam shows students respect and trust so that they can take responsible for their actions. It also helps them have integrity and good relationships with teachers.
- Student Court
- Students learn to take responsibility for their actions and think logically through Student Court. It also helps them to develop sense of citizenship and democratic awareness